A lot of people do not realize how many safety hazards are located within their home. In fact, there are a lot of people who take the safety of their home for granted. However, there are a lot of things that can happen within a home that can do harm to the people that are inside. Knowing what these hazards are can allow you to better protect yourself and your family in your Nashville home.
One of the biggest hazards in a home involves some items that we bring in ourselves. If you are like a traditional family, then you likely have a lot of cleaning products stored away. You use these products to keep your home clean but if they fell into the wrong hands, they could be a recipe for disaster. In fact, all of these products have a warning label on then that detail just how dangerous they can be.
If there are any animals or children who live in or visit your home, you will want to keep these hidden and locked away. A lot of people tend to put them under the kitchen sink which may be one of the worst places to put them because they can easily be found by young children or pets. Instead, you should put them in a place where they cannot be reached, such as a high shelf.
Carbon monoxide is a highly toxic gas but the problem with it is that it does not have a taste, color, or odor making it impossible to detect on your own. Carbon monoxide can cause you to pass out and even die if you are not removed from the area in time. This deadly gas can be caused by various things in the home including your fireplace, stove, and even your vehicle.
Because it is not detectable by people, it is always a good idea to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home. This device will be able to detect the carbon monoxide in the home and will set off an alarm so you can your loved ones can get out in time. Some will also call the fire department on your behalf, and others integrate seamlessly into a smart home setup.
Another hazard in the home is one that homeowners are likely more aware of: Fires. A fire can happen at any time in the home from a faulty plug or wiring in the walls or from an appliance. If you like to use candles in your home, something could happen with those and also cause a fire. While you may sometimes notice a fire, there may also be times when you do not notice it or not even home to try to stop it before it starts.
This is why it is so important to have a fire alarm in the home, so that homeowners and the authorities can be notified of a fire, even if the homeowner is not at home or is asleep. A fire can become overwhelming and can take over a home in no time at all, which is why time is of the essence in these situations and why homeowners should always have a fire alarm in their home. Homeowners also always want to make sure that the batteries are charged by checking on them at least quarterly.
There are a lot of different hazards in your home but there are also ways that you can avoid them and protect your home and your family against them.
The Ashton Real Estate Group of RE/MAX Advantage
The #1 Real Estate Team in Tennessee and #4 RE/MAX team in the world!