Running a business or engaging in some type of self-employment opportunity is a great way to enjoy a career you love with the perks of sometimes working from home. If you are already working from home or planning to do so soon, you have probably already realized that many homes may not have been built with the needs of an at-home worker in mind.
Fortunately, however, the rising popularity of home-based businesses and independent contractors (in Nashville communities such as Franklin and elsewhere) has resulted in positive changes to both existing homes and the plans for newer homes, making it more possible than ever before to find the perfect home for sale for both you and your business.
Before beginning your search, take time to read and consider these tips to help you focus on the best possible homes in your immediate market.
Step 1: Know the Basic Requirements
While most homes can be renovated to add necessary features to make running a business from home easier, it is much more cost effective to search for homes that already fit the basic criteria.
To do this, consider the following questions:
- Will your business require visits from customers, clients, employees, or suppliers? If so, it is critical to start your search by looking only in areas, neighborhoods, or subdivisions where these activities are not restricted by zoning or other regulations. Additionally, you will also want to focus on homes that have convenient access for these visitors, without causing a problem for other residents in the area and eliminate any that have regulations that limit or forbid the operation of any home business venture.
- Does or will your business require additional utilities or services, in addition to those needed for the home? For instance, if your business uses machinery that requires three phase power, you will want to work with local utility companies to ensure the home you decide to purchase can be successfully supplied with power. In many cases, adding these services will require installation of special wires or meters, so make sure to determine what the cost will be before making your final decision.
- Will your business be expanding in the future? If you plan to expand your business in the future and want to continue to run it from your home, it is important to consider this factor when choosing homes to view. Purchasing a home that already includes an easily adaptable space for expansion will be much less expensive than doing a major building renovation. Look for homes with unfinished basements, attics or those that have alternative spaces, such as bonus rooms, garage apartments, or insulated storage sheds or areas.
Step 2: Discuss Your Current & Future Plans
Another important step in choosing a Nashville area home that will be comfortable for both your lifestyle and your business is to discuss your concerns with your real estate professional. In addition to helping you find good options to view and consider, they may also be able to offer you some insight into future zoning regulations or changes that may affect you as a home-based business owner.
Step 3: Buy as a Home Owner and Business Owner
The last point to remember when viewing homes for sale and trying to determine which one is the best choice for your needs is to make sure you take time to view the home through the eyes of both a homeowner and a business owner. As a homeowner, you will want to ensure that the home offers the comfort, convenience, and amenities you enjoy, such as a well planned kitchen for cooking or outdoor living space for relaxing. As a business owner, you will need to take time to ensure the home has the features that will make it easy to move in and get right to work, such as:
- reliable internet service
- meeting the taxation requirements of a home business location
- heating and air conditioning ducts in the space where you will locate your business
- suitable lighting or the potential to easily install additional lighting, if needed
- enough electrical, phone, and Ethernet connections for your office technology and communications needs
While not every home is suitable for working from home, taking time to understand the needs of your business and shop for homes that can fulfill those needs is the best way to succeed in your search for the home that will best fit with what you want to do.
The Ashton Real Estate Group of RE/MAX Advantage
The #1 Real Estate Team in Tennessee and #2 RE/MAX team in the World!